Mr Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore

Mr Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, A Novel
by Robin Sloan

I found this book in my public library because Melissa (librarian) recommended it as a staff member. I really love that my library does this, because then you know which librarians to seek out for the sorts of reads you're in the mood for.

Mr Penumbra is the character everyone hopes to meet in their lifetime. Clay, our hero, wanders into the bookstore and is asked, "What do you seek in these shelves?" a mere 5 pages into the story, and I'm hooked.

I stay hooked, not only on Penumbra and Clay, but on the wonderful cast of characters that Sloan introduces as the visitors to the bookstore, and Clay's friends. He has a real sense of what matters to a reader when meeting a character for the first time, and it feels perfectly natural for Clay to have a very rich friend to call when he needs a warrior to his rogue.

The secret of Mr Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore involves an underground library, a 500 year old code, and all the latest modern technology that even bibliophiles love.

Festina lente.

Comments

Popular Posts